Blackberry 8830 wrong screen size?

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Hello, I'm having trouble getting browser capabilities to work reliably, I'm sure it is something I am doing wrong as this config file is new to me.

First issue - When viewing the site using IE from a desktop, the screen width is reported as 72.  The default behavior is 640 before I installed the mobile.browser file.  I worked around that by checking the IsMobileDevice property, and rendering the page without setting explicit widths in this case.

Second issue - I am using a Blackberry 8830. Whether I use this definition file or not, the screen width property is 96, when it should be 320.  Also, I get "false" for IsMobileDevice.  This problem doesn't seem to have an easy workaround, so I was wondering if this is an issue with the definition file or am I doing something wrong?

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Hello, regarding the screen size, this is because of the default values we supply in the mobile.browser file. Since your browser is not being recognized our default values are returned. Our default values for width and height are 96 by 72.

I have just checked out database and for the Blackberry 8830 the configured width is 320 and height is 240, I’ve also verified these values are in the most recent release of the mobile.browser file. Would you be able to give us the user-agent used to repro this issue? You can view your user-agent at  http://whatsmyuseragent.com/.

Cheers,

Marc.

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I see - this is the user agent string from my phone: "BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104"

Thanks for your help!

Greg