Changes Scheduled for the April Release

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Hi Folks,

We have started planning for our next release due in April. The April release is due to contain the following major change; I’d like to share this with you in advance.

Our goal with this change is to ensure that existing sites can be updated to support mobile content. As such we feel it is important to ensure that any .browser file placed on the site should not break the existing PC experience. We are therefore planning on introducing the IsMobileDevice Guard:

IsMobileDevice Guard

Our .browser assumes that it is running on top of the default ASP.NET configuration files. The .browser applies its capabilities irrespective of the incoming device. For instance, when the .browser sees a PC based user agent string the .browser will still set capabilities such as “CanInitiateVoiceCalls” based on the default assumptions we have for mobile devices. This can cause issues on sites which host both PC and mobile content. To resolve these issues we will ensure that MDBF capabilities are only set when we believe that the UA string is a mobile UA. This essentially places a large “if” statement around the mobile specific settings, as follows:

IF ( UA string comes from a mobile device ) THEN

IsMobile = true

//Apply shim settings

IsMobile = false

//Do nothing – do not apply shim settings

This should ensure that the mobile capabilities are never applied when a PC browser visits a site

I would love to hear your feedback on this change,

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I tried the latest release and still I had to

- all preferredRendingMime instances of "application/xhtml+xml" to "text/html" and
- all preferredRenderingType instances of "xhtml-basic" to "html32".

I though this should be fixed...

Also I have a style problem on ASP Mobile Forms when using the Opera PC dekstop to test the application....If I remove the mobile device browser file from the website the style works ok

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Seems like a good idea!

This wasn't implemented in the 2010-04-07 release?

My Windows 7 IE8 still says CanInitiateVoiceCalls=True...