Changes Scheduled for Jan Release

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Hi Folks,

We have a number of large scale changes planned for the Jan release of our mobile device browser file. This is in addition to the changes and updates we regularly make. In Jan you should see the following changes:

Standardisation of Browser Names
The browser names reported by the device shim at the moment are not consistent. To resolve this we have defined a list of recognised browsers and their names. Mobile devices will now report one of the following browser names:
• UP
• SEMC
• NetFront
• i-mode
• MIB
• BlackBerry
• Browser.NG (aka S60)
• Series80
• Series90
• AU-MIC
• KTF Unified Navigator
• NW.Browser
• SKT
• TelecaBrowser 
• Obigo
• Opera
• Opera Mini
• Opera Mobile
• Blazer
• MS IE Mobile
• IE
• Mozilla
• Reqwireless
• Safari
• Firefox
• Netscape
• Gecko
• Jasmine

Redefinition of the IsMobileDevice capability
We are changing the logic of our IsMobileDevice capability. In this release the IsMobileDevice capability will only be true if one of the following 3 conditions are met:
o We can detect a mobile manufacture
o We can detect a mobile model
o We detect a mobile browser is being used

I would love to know your thoughts on these changes!

We have some further changes planned for our Feb release, I'll post those up as soon as we have locked them down.

Thanks,

Chris

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Chris,

Looking forward to this update.  This will add some more clarity for us when developing. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Matt

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Chris,

Does today's release (01-05-2010) contain the IsMobileDevice redefinition?

Thanks,

Chad

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM

It could be that I am doing something incorrectly with this IsMobileDevice redefinition, however I am consistently getting back a "false" as that value now no matter what device I am using.  Is there some kind of outstanding bug with this (01-05-2010) release?

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM

chadboettcher : Yes, this should include the new defintion for IsMobileDevice.

bwvolkmer: There shouldn't be an issue with it, what UA strings are you testing with?

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM

bwvolkmer, thanks for the feedback. We are currently investigating the latest release, double checking that the new IsMobileDevice definition is correct. I will post back here with an update as soon as we have it.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Edited Jan 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I had been testing with "SCH-U750L/1.0+NetFront/3.0.22.2.17+(GUI)+MMP/2.0" to emulate the Samsung Alias 2 and "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16" for the iPhone.

I had been using those through the User Agent Switcher add-on with Firefox, as well as with some physical mobile devices (iPhone and Blackberry Storm).

Jan 5, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I am having the same problems as bwvolkmer. I am using an iphone with the following User Agent String: 

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

IsMobileDevice is always returning false.

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Hi Dontjee, and bwvolkmer - we've noticed the same problems. It looks like something serious slipped past us.

To stop others, who may automatically download the file I have deleted the lastest release.

We are working on a resolution to this upload a new release as soon as we get this resolved.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Sorry about the miss-release. We have identified the issue, corrected it and have uploaded a new release to CodePlex. This should resolve the IsMobileDevice always returning false.

Thanks again for spotting the issue so quickly, we really appreciate the prompt feedback. I hope this mishap has not inconvenienced anyone too much.

Thanks again for your understanding,

Chris

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:38 PM

One reason we had an issue with the isMobileDevice returning True by default was that Google Webmaster tools were unable to parse our sites because the Webmaster tool was being identified as a mobile browser and being redirected to a different domain - which of course wouldn't verify.

So we tweaked the file to look for the Googlebot user agent and identify it as NOT a mobile device, and then set SupportsXHTMLrendering to false. That fixed the parsing errors and the redirection for the search engines. However the Webmaster tools still wouldn't verify.

As it turns out, Googlebot isn't the useragent for Google's webmaster tools. It is actually "Google-Sitemaps/1.0".  Therefore, if anyone else had this issue, this was the reason. With this new release, I imagine that useragent would NOT be identified as a mobile device, and the issue disappears. However, I still think an unidentified browser SHOULD be defaulted to Mobile since there are far more new mobile browsers and devices than desktop ones.