SVN Repository

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:20 AM
Hi there,

I notice that the repository at https://mdbf.svn.codeplex.com/svn is empty. 
I'm guessing the repository isn't going to be used for this project?

Sincerely,

David
Developer
Apr 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM
Hi,

That’s correct, we are not using the SVN repository. The release consists of a single file and the smallest unit of change that we track is the one between two releases.

Regards
--
Vlad

May 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Hi,
it's no good :-(
I'm need download new release into my application automatically. It is better send request to SVN than parsing webpage...
Sincerely,
Bohousek
May 4, 2009 at 11:31 AM
That's true, it's much easier to include svn external.

Any possibility the SVN could be used to host releases?
Developer
May 5, 2009 at 2:51 PM
Hi,

You're right, that's one benefit of source control that we had overlooked. We've made the current release available in source control and will continue to do so with future releases. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Regards
--
Vlad
May 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM
Very mutch thank you!

Bohousek
May 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Hello!

Can someone give an example of how to download the mobile.browser file directly from an ASP.NET application?

Thanks!
Heber

May 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Install/copy CollabNet Subversion Server and in AppRoot run:

> svn.exe checkout https://mdbf.svn.codeplex.com/svn App_Browsers\Devices

Bohousek

May 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Thanks so much for listening to my initial request. Much respect.

Just one more thing, is it posssible to use the standard SVN method of making a tag for each release?

Coordinator
May 19, 2009 at 3:49 PM
Edited May 19, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Hi David,

Our only check-ins to the repositry will be full releases. Can you give us an example of what benefit there is to adding tags?

Jordan

May 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Hi Jordan,

Great question.

The benefit is because of the following scenario:

* My project has an external to the /trunk of MDBF.

* My project works fine and is tested using that specific revision of the trunk

* The MDBF trunk is then updated.

* My project is then using a different version of the MDBF which isn't tested against my project.

Therefore, it's for reproducibility, a certain snapshot of my project must always be checked-out the same, if the referenced external changes, then it's not the same version of my project.

So one usually references a certain tag (snapshot/revision).

But perhaps this isn't such a great problem, it just means that I will have to look at the history log of the trunk to determine when a change occurs etc and then import that revision into our tree.

Regards,

David

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Hi David,

In your example:

• My project has an external [link] to the /trunk of MDBF
  • My project works fine and is tested using that specific revision of the trunk
  • The MDBF trunk is then updated
  • My project is then using a different version of the MDBF which isn't tested against my project

Could you not make your project have an external link a particular revision of trunk? So instead of having just "trunk" you could have "trunk rev23952"?

We do see the advantage of tags though, so if we start doing anything more complex than making single commits to trunk we'll certainly consider adding them.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jordan.

That's true, it is possible, except that it isn't explicit as branches.  i.e. it's hidden in the revisions, which doesn't doesn't go down so well when someone has to work on the project in future.